To mix kojic acid into an already made commercial lotion it is important not to over heat.
All soaps and lotions require some heat in the manufacturing process. But getting them too hot will destroy the enzymes, vitamins and the properties of the lotion. To mix kojic acid powder to an already made lotion, heating (warming) works to dissolve kojic acid faster. This makes it a bit watery so it is easier to work with. When you mix kojic acid into a pre-made lotion that will give it skin whitening properties. The trick is to know the limit that you can heat your premade lotion. You want all the ingredients to stay effective, but want the kojic acid to mix and dissolve quickly.
This is a reason why a re-heated lotion or cream will become dark brown and become contaminated faster, shortening the shelf-life as overheating will destroy the preservative.
If you fear that you may over-heat your lotion then fill your sink and stand your lotion container in hot tap water. When it becomes watery it is hot enough.
Caution: Using a microwave oven is tricky as it is very easy to over-heat small quantities of lotion. Microwaves heat unevenly! So to use this method use short durations of 10 – 20 seconds. Stir between cycles until temperature is a uniform 100F – 110F (38C – 43C).
Kojic Acid Interacts with Iron Content
Another reason and probably the most common one for your lotions turning brown is due to kojic acid interacts with any iron “fe” content in the base lotion. Making your lotions from scratch is the best way to make an all natural lotion that will have a long self-life and no color issues. In our upcoming member’s area, we teach step by step how to create products with long shelf lives that have the right ingredients in the right amounts to avoid color or contamination issues.
Adding Kojic Acid to Pre-Made Lotions
If you make pre-made lotions into skin whitening lotions like this often. Then you could use a preservative and add .5 percent during cool down when below 100F – 38C to reinforce a long self life. (We use Linatural from Organic Creations in our made from scratch products. It is certified for use in organic products and is paraben free).
When mixing kojic acid we consider 110F – 43C max. But staying closer to 100F – 38C or under is better. Even if your lotion stays gritty from under-heating after stirring well, it will completely dissolve in a day or two. Just shake a couple of times a day if this is the case, as kojic acid powder is water-soluble. (This usually does not occur unless too much kojic acid powder is used).
Step by step guide to mixing kojic acid powder:
- Empty lotion into suitable double boiler pan or microwavable container (Glass Pyrex works for either). Or just let a glass mixing bowl stand in hot tap water (takes longer). No double boiler? The hot water bath method would be a large enough pan of water on a burner that you can place your heat-resistant lotion container into. Allow the hot water to come just above the halfway point. Place a washcloth on bottom of hot water. Or use a slow cooker to warm water and place your lotion container in that. We teach both everything but the microwave method when making from scratch.
- Heat lotion while stirring, so it heats uniformly, until watery @ 100F – 110F Fahrenheit = 38C – 43C Celsius MAX (Do not add kojic acid powder yet)
- Remove lotion from the heat source
- Add and mix kojic acid while stirring until dissolved, you may use a stick blender (if your container is deep enough to submerge blender head) for just a few seconds if you wish. Keep blender submerged and pulse to avoid sucking air into the lotion. When you mix kojic acid into lotions in large quantities a stick blender is ideal. But when mixing small amounts you may choose to use a whisk or spoon. In any case, mixing lotion that is under-heated may stay slightly gritty but kojic acid is water-soluble and will completely dissolve in a day or two without re-heating.
- Pour lotion or cream back into the container while still liquid (This is where heating to the upper limit makes this easier to work with). A small funnel may be needed. Keep top off until cooled to avoid condensation.
Mix kojic acid powder in the following amounts to your lotions.
(NOTE: Do not add above 2% to your lotion. It is not the higher strength/percentage of kojic acid, it is the everyday application that makes kojic acid effective. Plus high percentages can cause skin irritation in long-term use requiring you to stop your daily regimen. 2% is normal, use 1% if you have sensitive skin)
- 5 grams = 2 level teaspoons. Add to 8oz for 2.16% lotion
- 2.5 grams = 1 level teaspoon. Add to 8oz for 1.08% lotion
- 2.5 grams = 1 level teaspoon. Add to 4oz for 2.16% lotion
- 1.25 grams = 1/2 teaspoon. Add to 4oz for 1.08% lotion
Creams and lotions are made up of a high water content usually 50 to 80 percent water and the remainder are oils, additives and an emulsifier that allows oil and water to mix (the difference in creams and lotions is mainly water content, creams being lower in water & higher in oils). When you mix kojic acid powder it dissolves due to the water content and when the lotion is heated first slightly it will dissolve and incorporate faster and helps your lotion to not be gritty from undissolved kojic acid, but if it is a little gritty at first it will eventually dissolve without re-heating.
Making your own lotions from scratch is the best way for longest shelf life and effectiveness. We will be adding guides that teach you how to make your own lotions that are optimized for skin whitening and are super effective when you mix kojic acid in them. Currently, we are updating our website and will add those soon to our member’s area along with 30% off kojic acid prices for members only.
More facts about “Kojic Acid Powder”
When you make your lotion from scratch properly by never overheating, the shelf life is over a year with a functioning preservative system.
Make comments on this article below. For questions and direct response please use our CONTACT FORM HERE>